Wednesday, June 20, 2007

An ode to S.S.P.-


originally posted on the delhiwalla.blogspot.com....Picture courtesy Mayank Austen Soofi....



Ever since the sufi saint asked me to write this story I have written it in my head a million times, yet each time it turned out to be a story of my life, which is categorically not what he wants! However I have come to realize that if I want to pen down my thoughts about sujan singh park it will have to be the story of my life and there is no getting around it! Most people do not known of this place, some who are unaware will ask where this park in delhi is located and god forbid, you come across some who are aware they will call say to you ‘ oh you live in upmarket Sujan Singh Park!’

Sujan singh park, with its red brick exteriors, high ceilings and thick walls is probably one of the rare little havens left in this city, however as a child I wanted to live in GK or defence colony or any place where there were other kids around, the only child of my age in my block was a boy! A very shy boy at that!!! I live in g block the only block which stands purely on its own… the rest of this colony if you can call it that have buildings in a clear O with the ambassador hotel forming part of it. But G block is unique; it has its own character completely. Sir Sobha Singh started the legacy of Sujan singh park naming it after his own father and its now owned in bits and pieces by various grand children and great grand children and a few of us survive as tenants under the trust. The history of its being built is however of no interest to me. What is of interest to me is my life in sujan singh park or SSP as we fondly refer to it, which will soon come to an end.

Everyone loves their own house but it’s a rarity that everyone will love your house. I never understood why I was the envy of my friends till the day it dawned on me that my days here are about to end. I have a living room with a fire place, what use is that when delhi does not get so cold you would want a fire or if your upstairs neighbour does light a fire your house is filled with smoke because the chimneys are blocked. What use is a big garden with a badminton net strung across the trees when the dogs keep chasing the ‘ jungli’ cats and interrupting your game? What use is a bathroom the size of a small bedroom when your drains overflow, where cockroaches and centipedes constantly appear and your Royal Doutton pot from the 1950’s needs a plumber equally old to fix???

Well the garden with the lovely ashoka trees planted by my father is ideal for day dreaming, dancing to the songs in your head and soaking up the sun in the day, beautiful big bonfires at night or if you have a paranoid parent who wont let you cycle on the streets of delhi as a child , suffices as a racing track! The fireplace is ideal to hang Christmas cards on or to have a tiny toddler squeeze into to make the perfect picture and the bathroom is spacious enough that even without drawing the shower curtains you need not worry about falling flat on your face in puddles or not having anywhere to move like most bathrooms today.

Almost everyone I know has moved around lived in different houses but for me I have only had one home from the day I was born…SSP… I have lived different lives in each and every corner of this house. In the hallway , switching off the hall light when I come back late at night sneaking a quick kiss, the study which my mother decorated with wall paper for my sister which was first our play ground on hot summer afternoons playing teacher teacher or office office. Teacher teacher her favorite game.. we always fought, she invariably won… she became a teacher , I play office office… the ironies of life!!! Once she grew up and went out on dates, her room , known as the little room was where I would dream of boys and have my private chats on the phone usually listening to Richard marx dare I admit! As I enter my house the living-come-dining room with the huge cooler in the window. A cooler bigger than any I have seen in any home. A cooler I dreamt of on my long journeys home from college when it was 46 degrees and I knew my house would be a good 10 degrees cooler. The living room will comfortably seats about 15 people and needs a ladder if the curtains need to be taken down. My favorite armchair that I used to fight with my dogs for, as it was the best place to read for me or sleep for them. My mothers room where many a tear was shed. The ‘godaam’ or store room, which was my very first half room. Now I say half because my mum realigned her godrej cupboards, fixed a light and a bookshelf and made a space for me to have some privacy... but lets come away from there back out of my mum’s room and come into my room.

For the first 18 odd years of my life it was my dadi’s room where I’d go to watch Doordarshan on the only tv in the house, or play rummy or simply help her make balls of wool out of yarn.

Once she passed away I was given the room on the condition I would have to move out if guests came. Fair enough, but we always had guests!!! Slowly and steadily I made it my own, first with my posters of bon jovi, then with orange and pink curtains and finally with pictures of all the people I loved and who I hope loved me. I spent more and more time in this room and constantly fought for more space. It surprises me still when someone sees my room for the first time and says wow it soo big!!!

I spent the better part of 2006 out of delhi traveling and it was only during this stint out of my home I learnt to value its uniqueness. As my wedding day draws nearer I think of my life here, some dreams fulfilled and some shattered, sorrows and laughter. When people ask me what my biggest fear or apprehension is regarding my upcoming marriage I have only one….. leaving my haven…leaving my home…forever…

No comments: